Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Julie's Pain

Our parents arrived in Maine today to find Julie once again, or still, in horrible pain. When they called I could hear her wailing, clearly in excruciating agony. We thought this problem had been solved, but apparently it has not been, nearly three weeks after she was discharged.

What is most important is Julie's quality of life for what are most likely the last days or weeks that she has. Metastases to her hips and back are causing her tremendous pain, and everything possible must be done to eliminate that pain. Tolerance to morphine and other narcotic pain medication builds fast, and keeps building. The doses can get very high, but it does not matter. No dose is too high that does not completely stop the pain. Only at doses well above the point of controlling pain do adverse effects, diminished sensorium, or addiction occur.

To this point the medication she has been receiving has not come close to consistently matching her pain, and it's heart-breaking and maddening. The first rule of hospice is that there be no pain, and that's not being done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glen, Sorry to hear of Julie's pain. She continues to be in our prayers. Love you all, Lisa

ptstock said...

So sorry to hear about Julie. I worked with her as an intern at Walgreens. I always admired her and hoped to be a great pharmacist and mom just like her. I just heard tonight that she has been sick. Today I am a pharmacist and a mother of two, and I wish there was something I could do... I will keep her in my prayers